The Arctic Energy Alliance (AEA) is a not-for-profit society with a mandate “to help communities, consumers, producers, regulators and policymakers to work together to reduce the costs and environmental impacts of energy and utility services in the Northwest Territories.”
The AEA was originally formed to consolidate the activities of a number of organizations with an interest in energy-related matters. The intent was to eliminate duplication and overlap between the various departments and agencies, to provide a single point of contact for the public, and to allow for a more coordinated approach to public education and the delivery of energy conservation services.
In the last few years, increased energy prices and concern around the world about climate change have made energy a top priority for everyone. In response, the AEA has grown and many GNWT departments have also created energy-related positions.
About the AEA
The AEA’s vision is what it strives toward, understanding that it may never achieve its vision on its own. However, it is the Alliance’s “North Star” on which it sets its course, and for which it strives through the delivery of programs and services. AEA’s vision is:
“NWT Society will become a global leader in clean, efficient, sustainable energy practices.”
The AEA’s mission is a statement of why it exists; its purpose. The AEA’s mission is:
“To promote and facilitate the adoption of efficient and renewable energy practices by all members of NWT Society.”
The AEA’s goals state what the organization wants to achieve, while the objectives that follow express how we are going to achieve these goals:
- Members of NWT society will know more about the costs and environmental impacts of their energy use.
- Members of NWT society will want to reduce costs and environmental impacts of their energy use.
- Members of NWT society will adopt efficient, renewable and carbon neutral energy practices.
- Members of NWT society will know the AEA as the best place to go when they want to adopt efficient, renewable and carbon neutral energy practices.
- Members of NWT society will achieve significant reductions in the costs and environmental impacts of their energy use.
- Members of NWT society will be celebrated as leaders in efficient, renewable and carbon neutral energy practices.
- Provide services that cover all energy sectors of NWT society: To expand programs to ensure all sectors of
- NWT energy use are covered: Ensure complete coverage outside of Yellowknife and expand coverage of industry and transportation.
- Learn continuously: To increase AEA’s own capacity as the “go-to place” for efficient, renewable and carbon-neutral energy practices in the NWT.
- Inform: To make top quality information and advice on efficient, renewable and carbon-neutral energy practices accessible to all members of NWT society.
- Motivate an increasing number of clients to act:
- Identify and Remove Barriers – To identify and work with our partners to remove barriers to the adoption of efficient, renewable and carbon-neutral energy practices.
- Analyze Costs and Benefits – To ensure that top quality energy audits and pre-feasibility studies are available to those who are contemplating taking action in NWT society.
- Provide Incentives – To research, design and provide effective incentives (financial and other) that motivate NWT society to adopt efficient, renewable and carbon-neutral energy practices.
- Advise on Policies and Regulations – Research and advise our partners on effective policies and regulations that would motivate NWT society to adopt efficient, renewable and carbon-neutral energy practices.
- Support an increasing number of clients to act:
- Prompt and follow up with clients to adopt efficient, renewable and carbon-neutral energy practices,
- Champion and recognize success – To work with and monitor specific clients as “case studies” to efficient, renewable and carbon-neutral energy practices.
- Integrate – To transfer established efficient, renewable and carbon-neutral energy practices into the institutions of NWT society.
Our values are the foundation of how we do business and of the work culture we strive to create. They determine how we lead our organization, how we interact with the public and are an integral part of everything we do.
We show genuine concern for each other, our clients and others – treating them with understanding and appreciation through fairness, equality and healthy dialogue. We listen carefully to what people say, remain open to all suggestions and questions, and understand others’ points of view.
Services and Partnerships
We believe that the most important way to achieve our vision is through partnerships. We view all our clients as potential partners and are dedicated to ensuring they get top quality service.
We are committed to continuous improvement. We build on good ideas, learn from our experiences and challenge ourselves and the status quo.
We have a clear vision of where we’re going and how to get there. We focus our resources to achieve our objectives.
Honest and Integrity
We say what we believe and we lead by example.
Positive Work Environment
We take pride in our professional work ethic, our “can do” attitude and our informal and flexible work environment. We recognize a job well done.
We are dedicated to detail. We strive to provide top quality and unbiased advice, based on solid, science-based research. We review each others’ work to make sure we get things right.