Arctic Energy Alliance (AEA) has energy experts and money available to help your business, non-profit, or community government conserve energy and improve its energy efficiency. If you are interested in saving money by reducing the amount of heating fuel, electricity and water used, or want to reduce your greenhouse gas emissions, this program is for you.
The AEA provides rebates of up to $50,000 for energy upgrades. The rebate amount you receive will be the lower of:
- 50% of the total eligible costs of your project
- A calculation based on the amount of money and greenhouses gases that your project will save (see the program guidelines for more information)
AEA staff can help you figure out what your rebate will be before you spend any money. Rebate cheques for eligible expenses are issued by the AEA after the building upgrades are completed, installations confirmed and copies of invoices and receipts have been received by the AEA.
How It Works
We encourage you to contact us to discuss your potential energy-saving project and the rebates you can receive from the AEA.
Businesses and Non-profit Organizations
This conversation will help you determine whether to go through the process of having a desktop energy audit done or the simpler process of submitting receipts.
This can help decide if a free on-site energy audit is warranted. You will then complete your paperwork and submit it to us.
Businesses and Non-Profit Organizations
If you want to investigate potential savings before starting an energy upgrade project, the AEA can analyze your utility bills to see where energy savings might be possible. (This is called a yardstick energy audit.)
If you would like to go even further, an AEA energy advisor can then meet with you at your building and audit your building’s heating equipment and controls, ventilation equipment and controls, air leakage, equipment that uses water, and your building’s lighting and lighting controls, and let you know how to get the most energy savings for the least amount of money. You can then use the audit report to help you decide what work you want to do.
We’ll typically start with a desktop audit of your building’s energy use, known as a yardstick energy audit. This service is free and uses utility bill data to allow us to compare your building to similar buildings. A yardstick audit or a similar professional energy audit is required for community governments to receive a rebate.
Once this is done the AEA can estimate the savings and the costs of upgrades and materials. This type of information is typically provided in an AEA on-site (or “targeted”) energy audit report. The AEA provides these energy audits, which involve site visits to all the buildings included in the report, for a fee, but you can receive a $10,000 subsidy toward the cost of the AEA’s services.
Once you’ve decided what kind of building upgrades you want:
- Get an estimate of how much the upgrades will cost and work with your energy advisor to fill in a rebate pre-approval form. (We can only guarantee you a rebate if your application has been pre-approved before you start the work.)
- We will let you know what rebate you can expect once the work is done.
- Start work on your project within three months of being pre-approved.
- A yardstick audit or a similar professional energy audit is required for community governments to receive a rebate.
- The AEA can provide project coordination services for a fee to community governments help implement the recommendations in the targeted energy audit reports, but you can receive a $10,000 subsidy toward the cost of AEA’s services.
Once you send the AEA all your receipts and additional paperwork, we can calculate your rebate. One year after you’ve completed your energy upgrades, we can provide, free of charge, a follow-up yardstick energy audit so that you realize your energy and financial savings.
If you already know what energy upgrades you want to undertake, how much they will cost and your anticipated energy, water and money savings, get in touch with us to pre-approve the building energy upgrades, then send us a copy of all your receipts to process your rebate.